ENT739 - Alternative Energy Systems
|School||Cardiff School of Engineering|
|External Subject Code||H800|
|Number of Credits||10|
|Language of Delivery||English|
- To develop understanding of a number of different types of alternative energy sources whose outputs are suitable for conversion into electrical power
- To acquaint students with the relevant policy documents and grid connection codes
- To develop an integrated systems approach and appraisal methodology for alternative energy systems
- Demonstrate, interpret and summarise the findings of recent publications in the field of renewable energy systems
- Understand the requirement of the Grid Codes and how they can be met
- Understand the CO2 emission factors and the costs of power generation of different types
A mixture of lectures and practical studies involving a range of renewable technologies with be delivered.
- Analyse the UK power system with different generation mix to achieve CO2 emission targets
- Solve problems using an integrated, multidisciplinary systems approach
- Work effectively within a small group environment.
- Identify the factors affecting the generation mix under a decarbonised electircal power system
100% project work.
The module pass mark is 50%.
Review of electric power systems basics
Review of renewable technologies: wind power, hydro power, solar power, thermo-electric power, marine technologies
Integration of renewable generation into electricity systems
Energy storage technology
Economic appraisal of renewable/conventional generation technology
Distributed generation: Jenkins, Ekanayake and Stabac, IET2010
Web-based material as specified by the module leader